We packed up a lunch and some snacks and headed out. We hiked in to where the trail forked and took the right path, the left being the path that most people take. It wasn't too bad, we encountered another couple going to opposite direction and they seemed like they were doing fine. We began a long descent into the river valley. At this point I was thinking there was no way I would be wanting to come the other direction because we were going down for a long time and there were lots of stairs. We finally reached the river and forded it (we were prepared for this and we would have to ford it again down stream) and then rested on the other side. At this point I was exhausted and had already drank half my water, we weren't even half done the hike!We ate lunch and discussed what we were going to do. The options were to continue on our planned route or take the other fork back to the second parking lot. I knew there was no way I could have done it, I was pretty sure Tim was more tired than he was letting on. I'm sure he could have done the planned hike but it would have been really difficult for him and impossible for me (we found out later that many people say this hike is more difficult than Gros Morne mountain) so we decided to head back to the second parking lot and hitch a ride back to our car at the other parking lot. I wasn't even sure if I was going to make it back my legs were so shaky. We realised that day that we wern't as physically ready for intense hiking as we thought we were, and we didn't have nearly enough water for a hike like that. Here's the one picture we took that day of the river we forded.
1 comment:
I'm glad you didn't push yourselves beyond what you were able to handle.... and had water for! Doing the short route the following day was a great idea.
Post a Comment