Monday, March 02, 2009

Mistints

We decided it was time to finally bring some colour into our lives. After living in an all white house for almost a year it was time. We've collected a good bit of paint from the dump and our plan was to mix until we got the colours we wanted. We are still going to do this but we didn't have anything to make a nice orange for the kitchen. The fabric I have for the curtains (no they are not yet made...I had to return the sewing machine I borrowed and the one that was given me by my Lab City mom Bonnie, kicked the bucket - it was originally from a yard sale anyway) has these beautiful burnt orange flowers on it. So I went to Home Hardware to check out the mistints. Looking for mistints is the perfect way to save money on paint (which is quite expensive). These are basically reject paints that were mixed wrong and sold at a fraction of the price. My friend Kandice told me about them, thanks!

So I went to check out the mistints and they had the perfect colour of orange! I was just looking to find some to mix but when I held up my sample piece of fabric to the can I was delighted. We picked up a few necessary tools (rollers, paint brushes, tape....etc.) and went home. The only disadvantage is that there's usually only one can of a certain colour and you can't really get another of the same colour. This was Saturday. Sunday is the only day that Tim and I both have off at the same time and it's normally filled with church in the morning and evening and reading in the afternoon. We woke up late and decided to skip morning church and spend the day together painting our kitchen. It was wonderful to actually spend time with my husband (I know, I don't even have kids yet) talk, laugh, and work on our house together. Here are some photos for your enjoyment!

Tim taking switch plates off the wall.

Tim sitting on the fridge painting above the cupboards..


Me painting above the door to the livingroom. (I'm glad we're both tall)

Tim sitting on the fridge again doing the second coat.

8 comments:

Pamela said...

so bright!! you are very brave with color. we bought a green mistint about a year ago and haven't used it yet.... maybe I should give it to you!! :)

KMC said...

cool, we actually want to paint our bathroom green! I like being brave:)

G~Money said...

you guys are all about bandanas, it seems.

KMC said...

they're good for keeping the hair out of the face and the paint out of the hair!

Anonymous said...

That's the black bandana you gave me years ago, Matt!

G~Money said...

Oh! Srsly?
Very good then! ^^ Good to know you kept that!

G~Money said...

I should totally come over sometime. It looks like you guys have done a lot since I've last been in there.

Lindsay said...

That's a nice colour, Kathryn!