Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Cross Country Skiing


Sunday afternoon Tim and I decided to join our Australian friends (and Tim's boss) Doug and Ros for some cross country skiing. They have been going pretty regularly since the season opened so we were a little nervous because of our inexperience. It was only $18 each for the rental of equipment and a day pass (I thought that was pretty good) so we got geared up and hit the trail. We met our other friends Kim and Damian there (Kim had never done it before and Damian grew up here and was pretty experienced) and after figuring out how to attach the boots to the skis we were off. Ros stayed behind in the Chalet with baby jasper and would join us later. We tried the 401 trail first a nice flat and wide trail and it's even lit at night! It was going pretty well, I got off of the groomed part and almost fell...but I recovered alright. Tim fell a couple of times (it was his first time) but we made it alright.

We went into the chalet for a bit and then the guys wanted to do the trail around the lake. Kim had a huge blister and had to go home but I was feeling alright, a little stiff, but okay and the other guys were game. So we set off around the lake. It was beautiful, but it was also a 6km trail. About half way my muscles were aching but I was leading the pack so I felt that I had to keep up the pace for the guys who were right behind me. There were a bunch of up and down hill parts...down hill was fun (I only fell once) but up hill was pretty tough. I was concentrating pretty hard on keeping the pace and getting it done as fast as I could I didn't look around much so I missed some pretty scenery but it was still fun.

We finally finished the trail and I was informed that we did about 11-12km that afternoon... I don't get much physical exercise so this is quite a lot at once. I was dead tired, we ended up going to church for the evening service but I fell asleep a couple of times... Monday I could barely move, Tuesday I was still sore, and today I can still feel it. It's not just my legs either; it was my arms and abs too. I learned my lesson though: don't try to go as fast as the guys who are in much better shape then you, and don't ski for 12 km in one afternoon.

It was a lot of fun though and I'm sure we're going to do it again.

Tonight I teach my skating class, which is becoming more painful and I seem to have much less patience then I did at the beginning. It's harder too because I'm at work until 4:30ish, skating is at 5:30-6:15 and I have to go right back to work. So I don't have a lot of time to relax and eat and see Tim. Tim curls on Wednesdays from 8-10ish and there is an adult skate from 8:45-9:45 so I may go straight back to the arena after work and then pick up Tim at 10. I don't know yet, it depends on how I'm feeling. I need to get more physically active though because I have gained a lot of weight since moving here and I need to do something about it! Tim and I have been trying to make up weekly menus for ourselves so that we're not temped to have quick (and often very unhealthy) meals or eat out. More on that in another post though.

Keep Fit and Have Fun!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: