Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day


I had an especially wonderful Valentine's day this year.

But first... When I was younger I hated V-day, mostly because I never had anyone to do anything special for me. For me it was a day of sadness and loneliness. When I got a bit older I became more cynical; thinking that it was a day created by Hallmark to boost sales during the traditional mid-winter frugality of consumers.

Now that I have someone to love and someone to love me I am a little more in support of this day. However; it's not only a day for lovers, it's a day for friends and for telling people that God showed us the ultimate act of love by giving us salvation through Jesus. Check out this awesome Valentine idea at Kate's Kitchen.

Even though I like the day now, I don't want to put ridicules expectations on Tim to do something fantastic for me (and then me having to think of something for him as well). He knows I don't want roses (way too expensive and they just die...) or fancy meals out (we don't have $100 to spend on one meal for two, what a waste). So what did he do?

I worked on Saturday from 9-12 and then 1-4. During my lunch break I taught skating. So I didn't see him much. My afternoon was spent with 10 kids running around the library participating in my "Valentine's Cyber Scavenger Hunt". It was a lot of fun and a great success! After work I dropped into the local Blush store and picked up a little something and went home. When I got home Tim had cleaned everything, all the dishes were done and everything! He was busy in the kitchen so I went up stairs and cleaned up a bit (myself and my pile of clothes that had accumulated on the floor in our bedroom). He called me down for supper and had prepared a candle lit feast of Chicken Cordon Bleu with mashed potatoes garnished with fresh parsley (from our potted parsley) and fresh green beans. It was absolutely delicious. I didn't take a picture because I didn't want to ruin the moment. He had even made maple sponge cake with vanilla frozen yogurt for dessert. I was really impressed! I have been making most of the meals lately because of my work schedule and it was so nice to have a break and eat something delicious.


We then had a time of prayer, a really powerful time where God really spoke some things into our lives. It was really refreshing.


And that is where I will stop... even though the evening didn't end there!


I am so happy that God provided me with such an awesome guy, honestly I had my doubts that guys like this even existed when I was younger. I am so glad I waited for the perfect one for me. Papa's plan is the ultimate and definitely worth waiting for!


Now it's your turn, did you do anything special for Valentine's Day?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you two are happy :) You were definitely made for each other!
I've heard all sorts of opinions of Valentine's Day of course, and even when I'm single it doesn't really bother me or anything, but yea, it's nice to do a little something special without crazy expectations either (oops, run-on sentence maybe..oh well hehe).
Hope things are goin' snazzilious there.