Saturday, April 18, 2009

Skidoo Trip - Saturday, April 18

One of Tim's fellow geologists Mike invited us on a skidoo trip with him and his wife. We decided to take up the offer and count it as a cultural experience even though we both aren't really into the idea of skidooing for pleasure. Spending a day on a snowmobile (or sled) is a large part of how many Labradorians send their winter so we thought it would be good to experience it (kinda like trying caribou). Here are some highlights from our trip.

We took the South trail to Grand Hermine Park and the North Trail back to town.
Tim and I at the first Chalet along the trail.
Mike and Peg who took us and let us use their skidoo and helmets!
Beautiful Scenery
Tim and I at the Grand Hermine Chalet
Delicious supper after a cold day out doors (the wind chill was about -16 and it was very windy and we were going very fast - at some lake crossings pushing 100km/hr).
For more pictures of our adventure check out:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2050224&id=164202084&l=277c039933

In conclusion it was a fun day and the scenery was beautiful but I have no desire to go and buy a snowmobile, even if I had the money. I would much rather take a walk through the woods on snowshoes, at least I would be getting exercise at the same time as enjoying the beauty and I wouldn't be as cold. If we're here for another winter maybe I'll go again. Once a year is probaby enough and I wouldn't mind if I never went again. I can take it or leave it. We had some good company though and that definitely made it worth while!

No comments: