Our church has a goal to buy a bus for an orphanage in Senegal during the month of April. The bus costs $15,000, this is the cost of a new skidoo - something that at least a few families got this winter. A snowmobile is a pleasure vehicle (at least here). You spend the day driving around really fast, burning gas (not very environmentally friendly), and often putting yourself and others in danger (there have been many accidents this winter). I know this is not the case for everyone and some people actually use them to check their trap lines or get caribou, that's different so you don't have to get mad at me! You would think in a town where there are probably more snowmobiles than people and according to the 2006 census the average family income is $89,955 a good sized church could raise enough money to buy a bus for an orphanage over seas so that the Word of God can be spread even further. We will see though, we will see.
Strolling: A Skill Every Teen Should Have
By John O. Andersen
January 26, 2009
Power walking is so corporate. Fitness walking is so selfish.
Strolling is the wiser choice.
Strolling is exercise, but infinitely more than that.
When you're good at strolling, it can not only be exercise, but more importantly, one of the finest forms of educational entertainment imaginable.
Strolling is a window to the wonders of botany, birdwatching, architecture, horticulture, geology, local history, meteorology, art, even sociology--to name a few.
A window?
Yes, because when you manage to slow down long enough to pause, listen, and focus, the wonders of the outdoor world can come to you in ways you may have never thought possible.
Strolling is a deliciously subversive undertaking in a culture overwhelmingly biased in favor of speed.
The trick is to find the time to regularly stroll, and then expand your strolling skills to actually become a master.
For many, Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. is the perfect stroll time. But there are many other moments during the week when strolling works quite well. Even if you work long or odd hours, there is always an opportunity to stroll.
If you're strolling more than 1 1/2 miles in an hour, you're not strolling. Ideally, 1 mile per hour leaves ample time to study a work of art, have a twenty minute chat with a local, or stop at a cafe for a bowl of hot soup.
Two to three hours at that pace is the basis of a perfect stroll. In that time frame you could easily start thinking you were on vacation.
For certain, once you set aside regular time to stroll, and actually get quite skilled at it, strolling will become an irresistible passion.
Sure, strolling imposes few if any financial demands. However, be forewarned there are very stringent demands to achieve the ideal state of mind for successful strolling.
You can't be in a hurry. Cell phones are out of place. Short attention spans are not acceptable. Apathy is a deal breaker.
Master strollers have eyes that examine closely, feet that aren't in a hurry to move on, brains brimming full of curiosity, mouths that don't have to be open all of time, but ask probing questions, fingers that enjoy the feel of unique finds, and ears that work best when pealed for unexpected sounds.
Strolling is truly an indispensable skill; one best acquired in youth, and regularly honed throughout life.
By John O. Andersen
January 26, 2009
Power walking is so corporate. Fitness walking is so selfish.
Strolling is the wiser choice.
Strolling is exercise, but infinitely more than that.
When you're good at strolling, it can not only be exercise, but more importantly, one of the finest forms of educational entertainment imaginable.
Strolling is a window to the wonders of botany, birdwatching, architecture, horticulture, geology, local history, meteorology, art, even sociology--to name a few.
A window?
Yes, because when you manage to slow down long enough to pause, listen, and focus, the wonders of the outdoor world can come to you in ways you may have never thought possible.
Strolling is a deliciously subversive undertaking in a culture overwhelmingly biased in favor of speed.
The trick is to find the time to regularly stroll, and then expand your strolling skills to actually become a master.
For many, Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. is the perfect stroll time. But there are many other moments during the week when strolling works quite well. Even if you work long or odd hours, there is always an opportunity to stroll.
If you're strolling more than 1 1/2 miles in an hour, you're not strolling. Ideally, 1 mile per hour leaves ample time to study a work of art, have a twenty minute chat with a local, or stop at a cafe for a bowl of hot soup.
Two to three hours at that pace is the basis of a perfect stroll. In that time frame you could easily start thinking you were on vacation.
For certain, once you set aside regular time to stroll, and actually get quite skilled at it, strolling will become an irresistible passion.
Sure, strolling imposes few if any financial demands. However, be forewarned there are very stringent demands to achieve the ideal state of mind for successful strolling.
You can't be in a hurry. Cell phones are out of place. Short attention spans are not acceptable. Apathy is a deal breaker.
Master strollers have eyes that examine closely, feet that aren't in a hurry to move on, brains brimming full of curiosity, mouths that don't have to be open all of time, but ask probing questions, fingers that enjoy the feel of unique finds, and ears that work best when pealed for unexpected sounds.
Strolling is truly an indispensable skill; one best acquired in youth, and regularly honed throughout life.
7 comments:
Here's a bit more of my thoughts on the whole church/bus thing. One of my friends challenged me on it:
I am cynical and I know that. I talk about this kind of stuff a lot with one of my friends who just returned to Canada from doing missions for a couple of years. I know that our church has done it before and I know that it will probably happen again but it almost feels like a low goal considering the amount people make in this town. It's like the people who give lots of money at the temple but it's no sacrifice compared to the woman who gave everything. I feel that we so often give our "spare change". Spare after we buy everything that we WANT for ourselves.
In all honesty, if people even gave just a tithe off of their income tax return our church could probably give 20x that much, probably more, and do amazing things (hopefully it wouldn't go to inward programs...). I guess I was just feeling that the general attitude of the challenge was meek, like..."it would be nice if we could raise that much but we understand that there's a recession happening right now and we wont point fingers if the money's not raised, the church will pick up the slack". That's just how I felt.
Kathryn, I'm so glad you enjoyed that website, I knew you would!
I'm hoping maybe I can become a little less materialistic, and feel like I've accomplished this a bit when Ryan and I were both unemployed and had to learn to save money! I know I still have a long way to go, but it's great to know that there are people out there that are living simply and loving it!
Love you. Heather.
Yeah heather, thanks for showing it to me! I find it's so easy to be drawn into the materialism and I know that I need something to pull me back and say..wait, what are you doing? Do you need that??? (whatever it is)... I usually feel pretty guilty about spending any money any and that started in uni and being poor all the time. You really learn how to have fun, what your hobbies are, and who truly loves you when you don't have a lot of money and all you can afford to do is hang out with your friends and eat popcorn!
Thanks again for showing it to me! and those little crocheted animals are absolutely the cutest thing, you have to teach me how to crochet!
The strolling article sure reminded me of your father.
Hi Kath. Your piece on affluenza reminded me of the book that I recently read- Jesus Wants to Save Christians by Rob Bell and Don Golden. They write of how civilizations (and individuals) gain prosperity, are at first thankful but eventually believe they are entitled to it, and then enter into a period of the "priority of preservation" in which they spend great energy to protect what you think you are entitled to and forget those in need. Needless to say, the authors are very critical of the American war machine. The book is based on "New Exodus" theology. A recommended read.
Also, I discovered from your blog that I am a stroller and have been for decades. A great pass time but one has to be careful not to let it be displaced by iPod strolling,which has its own benefits.
Love,
-Dad
Thanks Dad, I will see if the library has that book! I'm at work right now so I can search the system really easily! It sounds great!
Hi KMC,
I understand what you are saying when you say that we should live simpler lives and not concentrate on material things, that is definitely true!
As Christians we need to examine our financial budget to make sure we are giving God our best. He deserves it.
With that being said, we all have things in our lives that we don't "NEED". Ski doos are one of them and there are many examples. It just happens to help people keep their sanity living in an isolated town with 8 moths of winter.
Consider this: If I have a good job and I am purchasing a home, is it wrong for me to buy a house that is nice and I will enjoy? I know I can afford a $150,000 house but I can just as easily get by with a $60,000 trailer that is not as nice. As a result I can save $500 on my mortgage per month and give that to missions. You know where I am going...
I don't think pointing fingers is the answer. I believe everyone is guilty. Finances is just one part of ministry. I believe time and money is a good comparison. For instance, if we spent our time in prayer rather then on the internet then how much more would we be stirring Gods heart?
The bottom line is that we need to find a balance between pleasure and making Him known. If we prayerfully consider our time and money then I believe each of us is on our way to reaching the lost.
I simply need to allow God to show me what I need to change.
Post a Comment