
In a small bowl mix 1c. lukewarm water and 1tsp. sugar. Over the mixture sprinkle 1Tbs yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes until the yeast has risen to the surface.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the following together until the solids are dissolved:
2c Hot water
1/2c sugar
1Tbs salt
1/2c oil, melted butter or margarine

When Yeast mixture is ready stir it then add it to the large bowl. Next, add 5c whole wheat flour (mixing after each cup). By the 5th cup I am mixing with my hands.
When flour is absorbed add 2c of all-purpose flour. (I normally add 1 and then add the other one in very slowly, I may not use it all). Add more all-purpose flour while you knead if you need it. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes until the dough is nice and elasticy. If too dry add more water, if too wet add more flour.
When finished kneading put dough back in bowl and cover it with a clean towel. Place in a warm spot to rise (can put in the oven at a low temperature with the door open, I like to put in oven, heat it up to 170, leave the door closed and then turn the oven off when it's pre-heated). Let the dough rise for 1-2 hours until doubles in size (about 2 hours for me).

After the dough has risen punch it down and knead it a couple of times to get the air bubbles out. Divide in 3 parts and shape each one into a loaf. Place loaves into 3 greased loaf pans, cover with towel, and let rise for about another hour.
Bake at 350 for approx 30 minutes until the tops are brown. Take the loaves immediately out of the pans. If the bottoms are brown and you hear a hollow sound when you tap on them the bread is ready. Let cool on a cooling rack. Enjoy your delicious bread.
We normally freeze some of it or give it away so we're not tempted to eat it all right away. We don't eat a lot of bread anymore so it's not such a big deal. Even if you've never made bread by hand before you should try out this recipe. It only failed me when I tried to make bread with 3 bumps and when I left it to rise for 4 hours.....for some reason it didn't rise properly in the pans. Try it though, making your own bread is so much cheaper then buying bread and tastes so much better!
4 comments:
mmmmm, looks delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe, I might try someday. xo
you should! it's easy and delicious! it really only takes 20 minutes to prep and then you have 2 hours to ignore it while it rises!
Oh Kathryn, I like your blog, I am going to read it properly but just wanted to let you know I checked it out, thanks for posting on mine! I can't wait to talk to you again my friend, I'm back in Canada in 11 more sleeps!! Love you so much!
Yum, I am going to try this soon!
Post a Comment